Next Season

Questions about how to maintain your Zuluru installation
dyoung

Next Season

Post by dyoung »

So when it comes to a new season, do new teams need to be created or can previous teams be moved.

For example, there was a 2013 winter basketball league with 5 divisions; First, Second, Third, Forth & Fifth. Each division had 7 or 8 teams.
When I create 2014 winter basketball with 5 divisions, can I move the teams from the 2013 winter basketball league First division to the 2014 winter basketball league First division? Of course some of the teams may change divisions in the new season, but most would be the same.

Looking for guidance.
GregS
Site Admin

Re: Next Season

Post by GregS »

New teams should be created. The old teams have games associated with them, so if you just move them, those results go along with them. Moving teams between divisions is for situations like when a team is being moved up from First to Second in the middle of the season, if that ever happens. (It also used to be handy for doing cross-division games, but now you can just edit the schedule to create cross-division games, so it's not needed for that any more.)

If you have the "Franchises" feature enabled, then the new teams can be placed in the same franchises as last year's teams were. There are some features on the todo list that will make this aspect more useful in the future, but it will already provide a fairly quick way to get from the current team to their past results.
dyoung

Post by dyoung »

Adding to this question. I have 10 leagues with ~32 teams per league so my team list has 320 teams. I can understand creating new teams for the 2015 season. My question then becomes what do I do with a list of teams that is growing by 320 every year? Have you thought of archiving teams so they do not show up in the Teams List? Or could a filter be put in, like you do with League List, so only the teams currently associated with a league are listed?

Kinda looking for thoughts or ideas for using your software at this scale.
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

dyoung wrote:Adding to this question. I have 10 leagues with ~32 teams per league so my team list has 320 teams. I can understand creating new teams for the 2015 season. My question then becomes what do I do with a list of teams that is growing by 320 every year? Have you thought of archiving teams so they do not show up in the Teams List? Or could a filter be put in, like you do with League List, so only the teams currently associated with a league are listed?

Kinda looking for thoughts or ideas for using your software at this scale.
If you have the cron process set up as described in the readme file, leagues are automatically closed a little while after their last game, and all of their data (teams, etc.) will only show up through the "year" links at the bottom of certain pages.
dyoung

Post by dyoung »

I seem to be missing something. In the README.md file under Cron it says:
"There are some processes which, if run daily, will help your site run more smoothly. We have found that fetching <ZULURU>/all/cron daily at 1pm works quite nicely. You should be able to set up something to do this for you through the cron mechanism of UNIX/Linux systems, or the Task Scheduler in Windows.

<ZULURU>/all/cron is safe to call multiple times; it remembers what it has done (e.g. emails sent), and doesn't repeat it.
"

I read this as in the ZULURU base directory, there is a directory call "all" with a cron file that I would be setting up in my crontab. I have searched from my zuluru base directory and not found a cron file or an all directory. I have also looked through github and not seen the cron file or an all directory.

Thanks for your assistance.
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

dyoung wrote:I seem to be missing something. In the README.md file under Cron it says:
"There are some processes which, if run daily, will help your site run more smoothly. We have found that fetching <ZULURU>/all/cron daily at 1pm works quite nicely. You should be able to set up something to do this for you through the cron mechanism of UNIX/Linux systems, or the Task Scheduler in Windows."

I read this as in the ZULURU base directory, there is a directory call "all" with a cron file that I would be setting up in my crontab. I have searched from my zuluru base directory and not found a cron file or an all directory. I have also looked through github and not seen the cron file or an all directory.
No, as explained in the CONFIGURE ZULURU section, <ZULURU> refers to the base URL of your Zuluru installation. For example, if you normally use http://www.example.com/zuluru to access the main Zuluru page, then your URL for the cron job would be http://www.example.com/zuluru/all/cron There's a little "htmlmail" script in that readme file that uses the cURL library to pull the specified URL.