Youth league registration advice...

Questions about how to maintain your Zuluru installation
vrehorst

Youth league registration advice...

Post by vrehorst »

I am setting up Zuluru in order to handle registrations for our youth ultimate league this summer. I see that version 1.7 has linked accounts now which seems like it would be easier to do for a youth league where I need to collect both the parents' and players' information, but the parents need to be the ones who are doing the signup / payment / waivers.

I'm not sure exactly how to handle this at the moment... as far as I can tell my options are:

- Make people create TWO OR MORE accounts (one for parent and one for each player), entering ALL of the fields TWICE, and then linking them, and THEN registering for the league :(
- Make parents register for accounts, have them register for the youth league, and then collect the player's information as custom fields. I'd probably also want to disable user fields which don't make sense like height/skill/shirt size, but those are fields which I DO want to collect for the players :( Perhaps I could then dump the players' data and auto-magically create linked accounts for them?
- Make parents register for accounts using their children's data, and do the league registration and enter their PARENT's name / contact as custom fields.
- Wait or help out with the implementation of "control" accounts which it would seem would make this a whole lot easier ;)

Advice?
GregS
Site Admin

Re: Youth league registration advice...

Post by GregS »

Youth was not a focus of the organization that this was originally developed for, so the support is not ideal for that at the moment. The linked accounts was the first step in getting where you want to go. Splitting user records from player records (1.7.3) was the second step. Still upcoming is allowing a user (parent) to create multiple player records (children) and registering for them. An overhaul of the registration system to include this and many other features is the next major item and should get started soon, and may or may not be done in time for you depending on when your registration is supposed to open. Mid to late March is the early goal, but that will depend on how much time I get to spend on it vs client support.

At the moment, I think the only real option is for the parent to create a full account for each child, logging out, logging in and registering for each one.
vrehorst

Post by vrehorst »

OK, thanks for the information. I can see bits and pieces of that around the code (like the 'non-player' person type).

I think what I've settled on for now is to:
  • Make parents sign up as users on the website, and make them 'non-players' and/or just turn off the Player and Skill information section. Last year I definitely had issues with kids registering their own info and suddenly I couldn't reach 20% of the parents via email :o
  • Allow them to register more than once for the youth league
  • As part of the youth league questionnaire, make them put in their kids' pertinent data (
Since this is still a small league (est. about 100 players this year) and last year I did without a complete management website as well, I don't really need to manage and track scores, rosters, etc online.

If I feel like it I'm pretty confident that I could dump the registration data and re-import it into real accounts for the kids (linked to their parents) if I wanted to manage their teams that way.
vrehorst

Post by vrehorst »

From looking at the comments on the recent github check-ins, do I take it that proper parent-child accounts, registration, and management are being worked on? 8-)
GregS
Site Admin

Post by GregS »

Yes indeed! This is very close to complete now. There are a couple of i's to dot and t's to cross yet, but the bulk of it is done and seems to be working well so far! Better late than never, right? ;)